“If you don’t think there is magic in writing, you probably won’t write anything magical.”
– Terry Brooks
I’ve mentioned my these three-word scenarios before. It’s a fun exercise for me, a great way to keep my brain actively coming up with new ideas while I’m revising a novel. I’ve decided to keep all my scenarios under 200 words.
My sweetie picked the three words this time:
The scenario I came up with is more the start of something, or perhaps the ending of an m/m romance between friends, a sweet moment in time that could lead to more.
Christmas Eve. Out first together in a real home.
Outside it was raining, the ground covered in mud—not the snow I’d always imagined—and Tommy was late getting home from work. I shouldn’t have been this happy. I shouldn’t have been sitting on the floor of the living room staring up at the Christmas tree with its blue twinkling lights and candy canes, smiling like peace on earth really was just a wish away.
I carefully secured the end of the wrapping paper around the 1970’s alien action figure set. A garage-sale find that had taken me four Saturdays of walking through one suburban housing development after another, scouring through boxes of old toys in search of the little plastic green aliens. Tommy’d had the same set as a kid. Since we’d both run away from less-than-stellar homes as teens, neither of us had any childhood mementos to remind us of the few good days we had in our youths.
The smile grew as I imagined his face when he opened the box.
My first gift for him. The first time I’d had money to spend on something this frivolous. Only, to Tommy it wouldn’t be that at all.
Word Count: 200 (just made it!)
Dang, now I have a new story I want to write.
Leave a comment if you have an idea for a 3-word scenario I can use in the future. I’d love to hear your ideas.
This scenario was cross-posted at Loose End this week.
What could be better than 150 m/m stories? 150 free m/m stories.
The M/M Goodreads group is posting another round of member stories. The event is called Love is Always Write, and it’s a great way to try out new-to-you authors and read a free story from one of your favorites too. The first story has been posted in celebration of the group’s membership passing the 6,000 members mark!
The rest of the stories will be coming in a week, two per day for the next 2.5 months. If you’re not already a member of the group, you can join here (Due to the adult content in this group, you must be at least 18 to join).
5/4/12 10:00 AM EST: Updated to add a couple more prizes to the list
5/4/12 4:20 PM EST: Added another new book. We now have 21 prizes!!
This Saturday, May 5th, the lovely SJ Frost and I are hosting another m/m Romance Reader Appreciation Day at the Sweet Spot Yahoo Group. This is a day for authors to say thank-you to the wonderful readers of m/m romance. This month we have a fantastic list of prizes! Be sure to check them out below. Some of the authors included in the giveaway will also be sharing excerpts of their work.
Here’s how to enter the giveaway:
- If you haven’t already, join the Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSweetSpotMM/
- Watch the group page (or your email if you choose to receive emails from the group) on Saturday, May 5th for a message with instructions on how to enter.
- Reply to that message between 8am and 8pm EST indicating you’d like to enter the giveaway.
That’s it. You’ll be added to the drawing for your chance at a random prize. Winners will be announced via the group after the giveaway closes. Authors will be sent the winning email addresses at that time and will contact their winners directly.
So far, the following authors have generously donated these or other prizes. Thank you, authors!
- Erica Pike – ebook copy of College Fun and Gays series – winner’s choice
- Lori Toland – ebook copy of The Long Con
- Michael Mandrake – ebook copy of Vertigo
- Belinda McBride – ebook copy of Blacque/Bleu
- JM Cartwright – ebook copy of A Change Of Pace
- Kendall McKenna – $15 gift card to Silver Publishing
- Kendall McKenna – ebook copy of Brothers In Arms
- Kaje Harper – winner’s choice of ebook from her backlist
- Jambrea Jo Jones – winner’s choice of ebook from her backlist
- Sue Holston – PDF copy of In the Name of the Law
- H.L. Holston – ebook copy of Coffee,Tea and the Mile High Club
- Lex Valentine – ebook copy of Afterburner
- Lex Valentine – ebook copy of Kissing Joan Collins
- Allison Cassatta – ebook copies of Dear Diary and Pride (combo)
- PD Singer – ebook copy of The Rare Event
- Ellis Carrington – ebook copy of Immortal Valentine
- TN Tarrant – pdf copy of The Absentminded Astrophysicist
- Sloan Parker – ebook copy of Take Me Home
- Sloan Parker – $15 in eBooks Bucks from All Romance eBooks
- S.J. Frost – $15 in eBook Bucks from All Romance eBooks
- S.J. Frost – winner’s choice of ebook from her backlist